Recommended Words
This series is very down-to-earth. The author writes about his process of learning Shang Han (Cold Damage) in chronological order, which can serve as a guide for one’s own study of Shang Han.
Original Link
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/lWedqgKSTR0LKgKWqoXFSA
Main Text
I had read all of Ni Haixia’s books by the second semester of my junior year. At that time, I bought the complete set of 22 books by Ni Haixia on Taobao, spending over four hundred yuan. I hesitated for a long time before buying this set because I didn’t have much money during university.
However, to broaden my knowledge, I ultimately thought that although it cost some money, it could enrich my insight and help me absorb more useful knowledge and experience, so it was worth it. Therefore, I placed the order in the end.
Besides attending classes, I spent more than two months in my spare time finishing the entire set of Ni Haixia’s 22 books and all his videos. I gained a lot at that time. If I hadn’t benefited, I wouldn’t have finished all of Ni Haixia’s works, including some content on his Han-Tang website, which I had carefully read before.
Many readers of public accounts asked me to talk about Ni Haixia because I wrote about my learning process of the traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) text “Shang Han Lun” (Treatise on Cold Damage) in the order I studied at that time. Thus, Ni Haixia finally appears now.
Overall, my evaluation of Ni Haixia is that his contributions exceed his faults, so I am still very grateful to him. But my evaluation of Ni Haixia is rational and objective. When I read his books, I absorbed the useful parts and did not simply accept all his views and thoughts without question.
Unlike some doctors, I won’t overly introduce Ni Haixia because many are already familiar with him. Let’s start with a quote from Ni Haixia to introduce the topic.
Ni Haixia once said in his last speech: “My promotion of TCM today is not about how many practices I have but about telling everyone the correct concept of medicine, so that future generations can benefit and carry it on. I can’t live for a thousand years. We must pass it on for TCM to improve. We’ve invested so much effort. From lectures on acupuncture for the overweight to Shang Han for the thin and dry, I lost half my vitality in two and a half years because I was fully devoted. I typed all the books myself. Few in the TCM community know this because I am the most daring, most outspoken. Others criticize me, but I don’t bother reading it because conflicts are inevitable. No matter what you do, you have merits and faults, some attack you, some praise you—that’s not important. The most important thing is that everyone’s attention is there, giving me a chance to speak.”
This sentence moved me deeply when I heard it. Ni Haixia’s heart was to promote TCM; he did not want to see TCM decline, nor wanted TCM to be looked down on by Western medicine. He wanted to save more patients and pass on TCM.
I truly agree with Ni Haixia’s viewpoint, even though the “correct concepts” he wanted to share are not always right and contain many errors. People are not perfect. Since Ni Haixia is human, he has limitations and sometimes misunderstands, leading to mistaken ideas.
The biggest issue is Ni Haixia’s critical language about Wen Bing (Warm Disease). But generally, he acknowledges some parts of Wen Bing—for example, the herbs used by the Wen Bing School.
Ni Haixia said in his commentary on the Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing (Divine Farmer’s Materia Medica): “I don’t say that the Wen Bing School’s herbs can’t be used, but they should be used based on the Shang Han Lun. Where classical formulas are insufficient, Wen Bing herbs can be used to supplement.” This shows he does not completely deny Wen Bing and believes that Shang Han has shortcomings and Wen Bing has its merits, a relatively objective stance.
However, later he stated: “Nowadays, TCM uses Wen Bing herbs but not Shang Han herbs because Wen Bing herbs won’t kill people and make money,” and “Wen Bing School’s herbs cannot treat critical illnesses or emergencies.”
This view is biased in understanding Wen Bing. Ni Haixia’s style is that Wen Bing herbs may be added on the basis of classical formulas. Clinically, when Ma Huang Tang or Gui Zhi Tang are indicated, you should use them; when Yin Qiao San or Sang Ju Yin are indicated, use those. There should be no prejudice.
Even for Wen Bing, Ni Haixia’s approach combines classical formulas with Wen Bing herbs to treat, which has certain clinical effects but is less effective compared to directly using Wen Bing formulas, because Wen Bing’s theories and treatment systems are far more mature, comprehensive, and complete than those of Shang Han.
We should recognize the development of TCM and accept new things. Though Ni Haixia also achieved this to some extent, he did not open his mind fully.
Moreover, Ni Haixia’s claim that Wen Bing cannot treat severe or emergency conditions is completely untenable. For severe and emergency Wen Bing cases, treatment using Wen Bing theory and prescriptions is more mature. Since Shang Han Lun originated in earlier times, it has limited understanding of Wen Bing and thus lacks good treatments in these areas.
For example, in Yangming organ fiery obstructions treated by Da Cheng Qi Tang, if treatment is delayed causing Qi and Blood deficiency, Huang Long Tang is more suitable and improves survival rates more than Da Cheng Qi Tang. High fever and coma due to heat invading the pericardium in Wen Bing could not be treated in Zhang Zhongjing’s time, but Wen Bing school’s An Gong Niu Huang Wan was created for such conditions.
Ni Haixia also said: “The southern school flees when they hear about da huang (rhubarb) and mang xiao (mirabilite),” and “Most TCM practitioners in mainland China do not know how to use Fuzi (aconite) and dare not use it.” This is incorrect. Mainly, Ni thought the southern school honors Wen Bing, and the northern school honors Shang Han, but this is not true. Professional TCM practitioners can differentiate this, but TCM enthusiasts unfamiliar with the field often believe hearsay.
When speaking about AIDS, Ni stated, “AIDS doesn’t kill people; it is all Yangming syndrome, treat with Bai Hu Tang; once Western medicine is used, it’s over,” and other incorrect ideas such as vaccine harm theories and conspiracy theories in modern medicine.
Therefore, Ni Haixia’s statement: “I am the most daring, most outspoken. Others criticize me but I don’t bother reading. Conflicts are inevitable. No matter what you do, you have merits and faults, some attack you, some praise you—that’s not important. The key is everyone’s attention, letting me have a voice.”
His remarks are reasonable. Being outspoken and criticizing surely causes conflict. Many things Ni criticizes are right, but some are wrong. When reading Ni Haixia’s works, we need our own judgments and see his views dialectically. Accept the reasonable critiques and do not blindly follow unreasonable ones.
In previous articles, I discussed the merits and limitations of formula syndrome (fang zheng). I received many comments from people who regard fang zheng as the highest syndrome differentiation and medication method of TCM. They said I was wrong, saying that besides formulas and indications, TCM lacks substance—that disease causes and mechanisms are all speculation by various schools, and that modern TCM should not delve into obscure ancient theories.
Whenever you express opinions, you will have supporters and opponents; this is normal. But overall, since TCM has been passed down for thousands of years, the inherited theories are mostly correct, especially the differentiation of Zang Fu organs, Six Meridians, Wei Qi Ying Xue—all remain applicable. Otherwise, they wouldn’t still be used clinically today. Many useless theories have faded long ago.
We should not easily refute or criticize important theories that persist. Your disagreement may stem from the influence of some doctors’ extreme views. Over time and sometimes overnight, your thinking may change, and you may come to accept things you once rejected. Learning TCM is a continuous process of re-recognition and advancement, constantly scaling new peaks of understanding.
A key point in TCM is one’s thinking. The level of a TCM doctor’s thinking greatly determines the level of their medical skill. A narrow-minded person who steadfastly believes one theory or one school, ignoring others, limits themselves from reaching high peaks.
An excellent TCM doctor maintains a moderate mindset. Every doctor has advantages and limitations; only by embracing the strengths of various schools can we expand horizons and reach new heights.
Recently, I saw a statement by TCM doctor Wu Xitong, though harsh, it contains truth: “Claiming the theory of tonifying Yang is superior to nourishing Yin, just to forcefully gain trust, is brainwashing; saying Shang Han studies are superior to later schools to force trust is brainwashing; claiming Six Qi number theory decoding Shang Han is superior to Zang Fu and meridian differentiation is brainwashing. For study, we must not confuse the boundary between principle (li) and method (fa). Principle describes objective laws, methods are actions guided by laws. The Dao remains, principles are consistent, but methods are without fixed methods—this is not the uncertainty of methods but because people apply principles flexibly in changing conditions, methods are ever-changing.”
This is not nonsense but something every TCM practitioner must contemplate and reflect on. I think this is extremely important. Sometimes you can know a person’s TCM level and height from just their speech.
Continuing about Ni Haixia, he said: “We invested so much effort. From lectures on acupuncture for the overweight to Shang Han for the thin and dry, I lost half my vitality in two and a half years because I was fully devoted. I typed all the books myself.”
This attitude is very admirable. Ni Haixia devoted himself unreservedly to the TCM cause. He typed all the lectures by himself, sometimes working until two or three in the morning without sleep. This spirit is worthy of learning for every TCM practitioner. Writing books by oneself with genuine care rather than meaningless works is important. Many professors in TCM colleges have students write their books, which lacks significance.
Ni Haixia is proficient in Shan (mountains), medicine, fate, physiognomy, and divination, which inspired me greatly. As a TCM doctor, to improve one’s thinking, one should also study various other traditional cultural knowledge, not just medicine; later, I indeed did so.
Ni Haixia’s “Ren Ji” series includes acupuncture, Huang Di Nei Jing (Yellow Emperor’s Inner Canon), Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing, Shang Han Lun, Jin Gui (Golden Cabinet), plus some organized medical cases, lectures, dialogues, and articles.
In his commentary on Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing, Ni quotes medical scholars like “Ming Yi Bie Lu, Zhen Quan, Wang Haogu, Wu Keqian, Jiyi Dongdong, Xu Lingtai, Tang Rongchuan.”
I remember Ni Haixia said the most influential doctor to him was Tang Rongchuan, which is evident in his Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing. Whenever Tang Rongchuan’s Ben Cao Wen Da (Materia Medica Q&A) is mentioned, Ni almost always cites it.
Ni Haixia agrees with the growth characteristics of herbs, endorses the theory of herbal properties, flavors, meridian entry, ascending and descending, floating and sinking, and the emblematic thinking of Chinese medicine. His explanations on herbs are relatively accurate and worthy of study and reference.
In the “Ren Ji Acupuncture” section, Ni Haixia’s view is more moderate. He mainly inherits from Taiwanese acupuncture master Zhou Zuoyu, and this section is primarily based on the Ming Dynasty’s Yang Jizhou’s Zhen Jiu Da Cheng (Complete Compendium of Acupuncture and Moxibustion).
Ni’s acupuncture philosophy is balanced and understands syndrome differentiation and treatment. He also absorbed experience from national medical master Lv Jingshan’s Selected Single-point Therapies, a very well-written book collecting effective experiences of many doctors.
The video also mentions Ni Haixia using the Gui Men Shi San Zhen (Ghost Gate Thirteen Needles), but after an incident, he stopped using it. The incident involved a young man suffering unbearable perineal pain. Ni deduced that the boy encountered something unclean and treated him with the Ghost Gate Thirteen Needles. On the seventh needle, a woman’s voice said to him, “This has nothing to do with you.” He looked around but saw no one.
Later, Ni found out the boy had proposed breaking up with his girlfriend, who could not accept it and committed suicide by drowning. After this experience, Ni felt he interfered with others’ karma and no longer used the Ghost Gate Thirteen Needles.
I consider this story real. Also, the Ghost Gate Thirteen Needles can indeed treat such diseases. I have seen many such cases. Besides the Ghost Gate Thirteen Needles, talismans and incantations can be used because not everyone is physically present—remote treatment through talismans is possible.
Ni Haixia’s understanding of the Six Meridians transmission and transformation in Shang Han Lun was inspired by Tang Rongchuan’s annotations. Tang belonged to the Six Meridian Qi Transformation school, believing that normal people’s Six Meridians cycle as Jueyin, Shaoyin, Taiyin, Shaoyang, Yangming, and Taiyang, but after illness, they transform in the order Taiyang, Yangming, Shaoyang, Taiyin, Shaoyin, Jueyin. I studied this extensively in undergrad and will write in detail later.
However, Ni Haixia did not stick to this theory fully in his commentary but absorbed ideas from Xu Lingtai, Japanese doctors Tanba Motoyoshi and Otsuka Keisetsu, combining them with his understanding to explain Shang Han Lun. It seems Ni felt the Six Meridian Qi Transformation theory did not explain all issues in Shang Han Lun.
Looking at Ni’s case records, his questioning is simple: besides chief complaints, mainly asks about sleep, appetite, bowel and urinary functions, thirst, limb temperatures, palm and forehead temperature, head and body discomfort, sweating, menstrual cycle, etc. His medication is modest and follows his own theory and basis for medication. Clinical treatment is generally a combination of acupuncture and herbal medicine.
Besides studying TCM daily, Ni practices piano, never attends parties, afternoon tea, or social engagements. Ni said no matter how busy or tired, he forces himself to read to find joy in reading, which resonates with me—without learning new things daily, life feels wasted.
I also treat reading as pleasure and pastime. My profession and hobby are both TCM. Whenever I’m tired, reading brings me happiness and relaxation. I believe that maintaining such attitudes towards learning TCM ensures successful mastery.
Ni wrote in his diary hoping not to mislead students and hopes all teachers reflect sincerely on whether they have misled students. I admire this, though no one is perfect. Ni has mental limitations and personality flaws, inevitably making some errors and unintentionally hurting allies, but overall I believe his contributions outweigh his shortcomings.
In Yuzhou medicine market, Ni met an old pharmacist and learned herbal processing by his side. Ni said it opened his vision greatly; he was very lucky to meet a master and gained much.
This shows Ni is also a humble learner, but since practicing abroad long-term, it is difficult for him to contact professional local TCM practitioners and his vision is limited. He thinks mainland Chinese TCM is inadequate. In his eyes, Liu Lihong, Sun Lekai, and Li Ke are among China’s best TCM doctors, but this is not so.
There are indeed some high-level TCM doctors in the mainland. Based on their works and my clinical application experience, some doctors have much higher TCM thinking and clinical skills than Ni Haixia.
They are just modest, busy with medical work, and unwilling to expose themselves. If Ni Haixia developed long-term in mainland China, I believe his medical skills would get better and he would grow more humble.
Ni Haixia has made great contributions promoting TCM, helping more people believe in and love TCM. The TCM community needs such talent. Besides his broad knowledge, his eloquence makes his lectures vivid and engaging, explaining TCM theories so that even non-TCM people can understand and be fascinated. I think his passionate personality, willingness to fight and criticize (though not always correctly) easily attracts interest and resonance.
Also, Ni Haixia’s passion for TCM, dedication, and wholehearted involvement indeed ignite the fires in every TCM aficionado’s heart.
Ni promotes Han and Tang dynasty medicine, which is somewhat one-sided. Actually, the history of TCM is a continuous process of development, improvement, and breakthrough, not a regression.
For example, Shang Han Lun corrected the mechanical sequential theory in Huangdi Neijing · Suwen stating “Day 1 Taiyang, Day 2 Yangming, Day 3 Shaoyang,” introducing the differential sequential theory: “On day one of cold damage, if Taiyang pulse is still, the disease does not transmit, tends to cause vomiting; if restless and rapid pulse, it has transmitted.” “On days two or three, if Yangming and Shaoyang patterns do not appear, it is not transmitted.” It also established the Six Meridian differential syndrome theory for external diseases, forming a relatively complete theory-method-formula-pharmaceutical unity.
Due to historical limitations, Zhang Zhongjing could not understand many issues clearly, including infectious routes of warm disease, wind-heat invading the exterior, heat entering the Ying and Blood, heat entering the pericardium, and cerebral symptoms of delirium and fainting were only understood as heat entering Yangming or accumulation of blood stasis.
Until Ming and Qing dynasty doctors such as Wu Youke and Ye Tianshi realized warm diseases enter through the mouth and nose, and that warm evil transmits through Wei, Qi, Ying, and Blood stages and into the pericardium.
Similarly, the theory of blood stasis formed and evolved: explained preliminarily in Neijing, Shang Han, and Jin Yuan Yao Lue, and developed deeply later by Wang Qingren and Tang Rongchuan.
Though Neijing proposed the basic content of zang organs, it did not fully explain the functions of spleen-stomach and kidney. It was only after the studies of Li Dongyuan and Huang Yuanyu on spleen-stomach’s ascending-descending, and Zhu Danxi, Zhao Yangkui, and Zhang Jingyue’s studies on kidney that we now have systematic knowledge of zang organ theory.
These are all developments of TCM. Many beginners lack a complete knowledge system and passively learn, easily influenced by one school’s view. Therefore, I always believe that to improve medical skills, a TCM doctor must value learning TCM and herbal theory, study various schools’ thoughts comprehensively and integrate them, and dedicate a passionate heart and lifetime to researching TCM. I believe every TCM colleague can become an excellent inheritor of TCM.
This article is very long and contains my sincere thoughts. There may be improper parts, hope for understanding.
Tomorrow I will continue to share in detail my previous learning process of Shang Han Lun. Thank you for your attention!
Note: This will be written chronologically as a series documenting my own study of Shang Han Lun. The learning process goes from initial ignorance to gradual depth. The thoughts in the article represent the learning mindset at the time, which has been continuously updated over many years. My thinking is now more moderate, balanced, without factional bias, embracing the strengths of all schools, without attacking any particular doctor, focusing on efficacy.
Previous recommendations:
-
Talking About My Study of TCM Shang Han Lun — Huang Han Medicine
-
Talking About My Study of TCM Shang Han Lun — Japanese Shang Han Doctors
-
Talking About My Study of TCM Shang Han Lun — Da Yi Zhi Jian (Great Doctor’s Simplicity)
-
Talking About My Study of TCM Shang Han Lun — Merits and Limitations of Formula Syndrome
-
Talking About My Study of TCM Shang Han Lun — Reflections on Formula Syndrome, Li Hanqing10. Discussing My Study of Traditional Chinese Medicine 《Shang Han Lun》 by Li Keshao
Welcome to follow, the vicissitudes of medical Dao, inheritance and promotion